[PLUG] Problem du jour -- Solved

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 10 18:06:01 PDT 2004

   Alan pointed me in the proper direction. I opened the case and learned
that the video card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra with 32M SDRam. Checking
the linux hardware compatibility HOWTO I found the proper driver for this
chip set is the r128.

   Set this all up in /etc/xorg.conf re-started X and it all works as
promised: 1280x1024, and that's what xwininfo (thank you, Ali!) tells me.
Whew!

   Now, ... VMware is the next major application to get running (with the
latest Samba, of course).

   Then, sound (just for giggles, of course). At least I now have the entire
Red Hat 7.3 backup restored on a 40G partition so I can pick at it as needed
and I don't have to worry about keeping a tape with everything.

   You folks are certainly outstanding. I only hope that my attempts at
offering help partially offsets all the help I get from all of you.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>