[PLUG] OSS Rundown

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Mon Sep 13 14:13:02 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:01:42AM -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> I'd add two other arguments:
>
> * OSS is educational and fun in ways that closed-source software will
>   never be.
>
> * OSS typically provides greater flexibility, since you get to
>   configure and build it the way you want.

Of course, the Devil's Advocate would also say you could translate
these into euphemisms for "very difficult to use and setup and no one
will give you a simple, straightforward answer that reduces TCO in the
long run". <joke>I know I enjoy watching The Saga of Rich.</joke> :-)

This is, of course, moot in the face of control issues, as described.

--
chris kb7rnl =->