[PLUG] Re: USB Mass storage errors

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Sep 14 02:18:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Russell> I've got a 200 Gig IDE drive in an external enclosure, used
Russell> as a backup device.  I am getting occasional lockups during
Russell> particularly intense rsyncs, and just had my first on 2.6.8.1
Russell> last night.  Afterwards, I began getting messages like:

Russell> scsi4: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 00
Russell> 00 6a 8a 00 00 04 00 Current sdb: sense key Medium Error
Russell> Additional sense: Unrecovered read error end_request: I/O
Russell> error on device sdb1, logical block 27273

Keith> This is a known error, and as we speak Elliott Mitchell is
Keith> hunting through kernel and driver code for a solution. [...]

Uh, not according to Maxtor.  They say that the drive is failing.  I
am getting a warranty exchange.  Although, it depends on the which
definition of this this is.

If there is a bug causing the lockups, that wouldn't surprise me.
Indeed I assume that is the case.  If there is a kernel bug that is
causing the sector read errors, then it is doing an excellent job of
channeling through to other, less worthy, operating systems where the
Maxtor diagnostic software runs (DR DOS, actually). ;-)

seniorr at aracnet.com