[PLUG] Another OSS Advantage

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 14 06:45:02 UTC 2004

   While folks like Chris amuse themselves at my travails (which does not
bother me), I need to point out the health benefits of OSS that far exceed
anything offered by proprietary software, particularly of the operating
system varieties that are propagated by a certain monopoly in Redmond, WA.

   If you've paid attention to the recent research and news reports about
senile dementia, particularly Alzheimer's disease you are aware that a
consistent thread is seen in these reports. Continuing mental challenge and
use of the brain reduces the likelihood of acquiring this debilitating
condition. (Those of you with relatives who have Alzheimer's know just how
debilitating it is.)

   Having a hard drive fail and needing to assemble new hardware into a
working system with a new (and current) distribution, then restore all prior
data and mission-critical applications provides that high degree of mental
challenge and synaptic activity that keeps us in touch with the real world.
That other OS has all the mental stimulation of watching sit-coms (I guess
they're called "reality shows" nowadays) on T.V.

   So, in addition to documented lower TCO, greater flexibility and choice so
that the software works as you do rather than the other way around, add
mental health benefits and long-term protection against senile dementia in
your sales pitch. I suspect, however, that this pitch would not resonate
with too many entrenched IT big-wigs because they are already mentally
limited to thinking that proprietary software solutions are the only way to
go.

   Join me in ehnancing mental health: use OSS!

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>