[PLUG] A LESSer Problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 14 15:05:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I've seen similar symptoms when your non-interactive login environment
> emits character output beyond the shell prompt. If, for example, the
> window spawned by "xterm +ls" has any non-prompt text, then less will have
> trouble.

Paul,

   I explicitly define the command to open a shell from the Xfce panel with
"-sl" so it's a login shell.

> Also, you might consider seeing if you or the system has some alias
> for less that might be causing trouble:
>
>   type less

   No. That's fine.

> As a final alternative, you might see if your shell environment has
> any of the LESS* variables defined in a funky way, e.g.,
>
>   printenv | grep LESS

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ printenv | grep LESS
LESS=-M
LESSOPEN=|lesspipe.sh %s

   What is this telling us?

   A thought just occurred to me: I have aterm parameters defined in
~/.Xdefaults:

aterm*loginShell:true
aterm*transparent:true
aterm*shading:60
aterm*background:Black
aterm*foreground:White
aterm*scrollBar:true
aterm*scrollBar_right:true
aterm*transpscrollbar:true
aterm*saveLines:32767
aterm*font:*-*-fixed-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
aterm*boldFont:*-*-fixed-bold-r-normal--*-*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

   Might these be conflicting with the command line in a negative way?

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>