[PLUG] OT - hardware hack, bic pen opens kryptonite ulock

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Sep 14 16:50:03 UTC 2004

Slashdot rejected the story, so you're subjected.

I thought this was a hoax:

  http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=66128&page=1&pp=25

  As you guys might remember, I recently had the nicest set of wheels
  I've ever had stolen from me. Today I was hanging out with a friend
  and we got to talking about that - he said his friend showed him just
  recently how to open a U-Lock with a ball point pen.

  Of course I didn't believe it. That is until just thirty seconds
  ago when I opened my own Kryptonite Evolution 2000 with a bic ball
  point pen!

  This has to be the most absurd thing I've ever seen. Try it. Take the
  end off the pen, jam it in the lock, wiggle around and twist.

Then three friends report that it works.  I'm still looking for a pen of
the right size for my lock.

Believe it when you see it:
  http://thirdrate.com/misc/krypto.mov

It's a great hardware hack, and bad news for all the bicycle people with
these common and trusted locks.

--
    Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity