[PLUG] organizing notes

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 16 12:11:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Josh" == Josh Orchard <josh at emediatedesigns.com> writes:

Josh> My other question.  So, me and another were discussing how we
Josh> get these little tips and help on all the items and machines we
Josh> maintain or programs we use but rarely.

Josh> What I'm trying to come up with is a way to sort and organize
Josh> those notes.  I would like to make them a DB and web base
Josh> accessed.  I could design one but wondered if any of you have
Josh> ever come across a tool that helps you organize such things?
Josh> Currently I have a text file on my desktop called notes.txt.  I
Josh> can read it from windows/*nix machines but it seems very crude
Josh> and I can't read it when I'm away from those machines and have
Josh> to keep multiple copies.

What I do is keep an emacs-based "logbook".  M-x add-logbook-entry
inserts a date-stamp at the end of a file, ~/logbook/YYYY-MM-DD.log
and I type whatever notes I have about what I am doing, have recently
done, anything I want to hang onto, then a C-x C-s saves it.  I've got
these notes going back to January 1997.

The logbook mode is something I hacked together from an existing,
bundled changelog mode.

For retrieval, I rely on grep and less.

Josh> Suggestions?

Secure shell means never having to say goodbye (at least as long as
you have network continuity).

seniorr at aracnet.com