[PLUG] Disk space question using LVM

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Fri Sep 17 11:56:01 PDT 2004

* Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> [040917 11:18]:

> Interesting. My initial inclination was to blurt out that the
> following du invocations are nearly equivalent:
>
>    du -h --max-depth=1 /
>    du -sh /*
>
> On review, however, I noticed some subtle but potentially significant
> differences:

Also note that (I'm pretty sure) the original poster said that he was
having trouble with a full / file system, and not the file systems
mounted under /.

In my first reply, I suggest du -akl / | sort -n, which was incorrect. I
confused the -l option from the df command, when I really wanted the -x
option for du.

The -x option will skip directories on other file systems, so
du -akx / | sort -n
should be a good suggestion for his issue.

--Stafford