[PLUG] Sound file size

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Sep 17 12:02:02 PDT 2004

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    I downloaded some audio files that end in .ram. When I try to
Rich> play them using RealPlayer (on my notebook), the counter moves
Rich> along but no sound comes out. These files are in /tmp and are
Rich> quite small; approximately 60 bytes.

<wild-assed-guess>
   ALSA defaults to "muted" ... check volume levels with an alsa mixer.
</wild-assed-guess>

Rich>    What are these files and is there a way to capture the entire
Rich> stream on my system?

They are, effectively, URL's to the sound stream.

And, yes there *is* a way to capture the entire stream on your system.
I've used it.  Unfortunately for you it has been a while and I don't
remember the name of it offhand.

seniorr at aracnet.com