[PLUG] Opening X app when su root

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Sep 18 09:31:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> writes:

Rich> so I can add fonts to what OO.o sees. The X server responds that
Rich> it cannot open the display.

Michael> It's a permissions issue.  Before you 'su -' run the command
Michael> `xhost +`.

I occasionally use this:

   $ slogin root at localhost

But this (or something close) should work too:

   $ ssh root at localhost <your-Xapp-here>

If ssh X forwarding is working, then that should paper over any
permission problems.

Ever since I became aware of ssh lo-those-many-years-ago I have sort
of deprecated xhost.  I can't remember the last time I used it.
Whether that is rational or not, I'll leave to others to judge.

seniorr at aracnet.com