[PLUG] Opening X app when su root

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Sat Sep 18 09:47:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 09:30, Russell Senior wrote:

> Rich> so I can add fonts to what OO.o sees. The X server responds that
> Rich> it cannot open the display.
>
> Michael> It's a permissions issue.  Before you 'su -' run the command
> Michael> `xhost +`.
>
> I occasionally use this:
>
>    $ slogin root at localhost
>
> But this (or something close) should work too:
>
>    $ ssh root at localhost <your-Xapp-here>
>
> If ssh X forwarding is working, then that should paper over any
> permission problems.
>
> Ever since I became aware of ssh lo-those-many-years-ago I have sort
> of deprecated xhost.  I can't remember the last time I used it.
> Whether that is rational or not, I'll leave to others to judge.
>

> --
> Russell Senior         ``I have nine fingers; you have ten.''
> seniorr at aracnet.com

Here's the obligatory warning the doing xhost + is very insecure.
Security is opening permissions only as far as you need them.  A more
secure procedure is the issue:

xhost +localhost

This way you open your X windows only to your local machine.  Likewise
you could add the your systems on your LAN, if you want by issuing:

xhost +<host name>

Ken
CAD2CAM.COM