[PLUG] Broken 'whois'; why?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Sep 20 06:41:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    For years I've been using 'whois' to identify the domain name associated
Rich> with a particular IP address. Now, on the newly-installed Slackware-10.0
Rich> system, when I try to run an address using the standard form; e.g.:
Rich>                      "whois 80.191.126.26 at whois.ripe.net"
Rich> the response is:
Rich>               "No whois server is known for this kind of object.'

Apparently, with modern whois clients (like the one that prints
"no whois server is known"...), you simply give a thing, and it
figures out the right server.

So, whois 80.191.126.26 gives me back some network in Iran.