[PLUG] Installed gnucash-1.8.9 on Slackware-10.0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 20 13:54:01 PDT 2004

   Whew! What an ordeal. But, I have success to report. And, for those of you
running Slackware who want to use gnucash let me summarize what needs to be
done.

   There is a Web page HOWTO <http://rjmarq.org/gnucash.html> that's
invaluable. Because gnucash is a gnome-1.x application we need to install a
bunch of gnome libraries from Slackware-8.1 and -9.x, too. I started at the
top of the dependencies list on the gnucash Web site and worked my way down
the list getting and installing everything I did not have (i.e., almost
everything there). Resolved missing dependencies as they arose.

   Toward the end of the ./configure phase it got a little tricky because the
error message was that lgdal wasn't installed. It is. Reading config.log I
saw that it was the lack of two libgdal dependencies (Berkeley DB1 and
gdk-pixbuf) that held things up. I got those from the Slackware-9.0 disks
(since I accidently knocked the 9.1 set behind the bookcase in the back room
and it will take a frontend loader to clear a path to it). Anyway, it did
configure.

   During the make phase the process bailed out with an error because it
could not find ldb1 in /usr/X11R6/lib/. True. The library is installed in
/lib. So I made a softlink and the compiler was happy. 4min 26 seconds on
the Athlon XP 2100+ system with 1G RAM. Make install kept reporting warnings
that it appeared the library had been moved (it was seeing the link), but it
installed just fine.

   For some weird reason gnucash must be run as root before us reg'lar folks
can use it. I switched to a console, logged in as root, ran
'/usr/local/bin/gnucash', and logged out after being told the display
couldn't be opened. Back to the X session and it fired right up for me as a
user.

   Ugly, but there it is. Hope this helps someone(s).

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>