[PLUG] Wanted to Introduce Myself

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Wed Sep 22 09:21:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:21:52AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> I don't understand the motivation here.  iBooks come with a *fine*
> *usable* version of Unix already.  All you'll be doing is creating
> yourself a world of hurt.

Perhaps if you're of the impression that one size *can* fit all.
Personally, Linux will never leave my PowerBook because I prefer to be
in control of my own computing destiny. I don't appreciate being at
Apple's mercy for security and bugfix upgrades. I don't appreciate it
when Software Update decides it knows better than I what certain
directory permissions ought to be. And I don't appreciate knowing that
my entire computing experience is more or less dictated by one entity
("sorry, that information is divulged strictly on a need-to-know basis,
and we don't think you need to know"). There's also the very distinct
benefit of having a much more responsive laptop (good riddance, spinning
beach-ball of death) that gets better battery life than under OS X. Free
Software ru13z!

I realize that OS hacking isn't for everyone, but some of us actually
enjoy knowing how everything works on the inside. It's a small price to
pay for computing self-determination.

Paul