[PLUG] Wanted to Introduce Myself

R. Haack gluebert at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 20:49:02 UTC 2004

>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Keely Willoughby wrote:
>

>>Randal L. Schwartz == <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:
>>
>>Keely>  Getting a brand new iBook soon & will be
>>Keely> slapping Yellow Dog on it (can't wait as I love Yellow Dog)
>>
>>I don't understand the motivation here.  iBooks come with a *fine*
>>*usable* version of Unix already.  All you'll be doing is creating
>>yourself a world of hurt.
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>I have used Linux on my Desktop Mac & a really, really old laptop & it ran perfectly.
>>Less problems with install/setup/operation compared to the PC laptop I had.
>>
>>No world of hurt here...
>>
>>I know it seems a little unusual seeing as though it does come with a great UNIX system already there, but I know Linux,
>>I like to be in control of my comptuer (I think this has already been mentioned) & Yellow Dog runs like a dream on an iBook too!
>>
>>Good to see some other Mac/Linux Users out there....I sometimes fear I am the only one.
>>

>OS X v.s. Yellowdog is an interesting question.
>
>Both are good, but it really depends on what you want to run.  Since there
>are programs on Yellowdog to run OS X programs, it cover the best of both
>worlds.
>
>I have found a number of programs that do not build well on OS X or
>require X.  If using X was transparent to the user, then it would not be a
>choice.  I found using anything involving X on OS X to be a pain.
>Possible, but not something "one click".
>
>Perl apps, for the most part, built fine on OS X.  (Except for the things
>that expected you to be on a PC.)  A number of things are still kind of
>bjorken on OS X though.  Kerberos and ldap, for example.
>
>Either one is better than Windows, however.

Well I just had to chime in on this one.  At the school district I work
for we use a lot of Mac's.  As a matter of fact the mail server I just
replaced was a Mac G5 running OS-X 10.3 server and it had more problems
than one would have thought  a Mac would have.  First off there was a
process that would run wild and unless caught in time it would hang the
machine.  Secondly, it would randomly corrupt users mail boxes, and
twice it corrupted the disk.  Also the mail lists never worked.  We had
only had this Mac server in place since February of this year and we
decided it had to go so we replaced it with a Pentium IV running
Fedora.  We contacted Apple about the problems we were having and their
initial response was "We don't know anybody who is using OS-X for a mail
server, and then they told us that they would fix the problems
eventually."  I found this to be a rather pathetic response from a
company like Apple that has such a good reputation.  I would expect this
from some other company in Washington but not Apple.  Now the really sad
part is the OS-X was using the exact same packages we are now running on
our new mail server.  My best guess is that Apple tweaked the packages
and just screwed something up in doing so and sadly didn't seem to care
enough to fix them.

Robert Haack