[PLUG] Wanted to Introduce Myself

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Sep 23 05:31:16 PDT 2004

>>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> writes:

Aaron> Indeed.  And for that matter, why run Linux on a Sun, SGI, PA-RISC,
Aaron> NUMA-Q or iSeries?  Obviously, there are a lot of wrong-headed people
Aaron> in this world. ;)

Because those come with locked-up operating systems.  Darwin is open source.

>> All you'll be doing is creating yourself a world of hurt.

Aaron> You know this from experience, or just speculating?

Second-hand.  The problem is that first, you lose compatibility with a
*lot* of good Mac software out there for *no* reason (because you can
still run X11 alongside Aqua and get the best of both worlds).  And
second, it's very unlikely that Linux can support the exotic Mac
hardware as well as Apple-provided stuff supports it.

Aaron> Maybe I just missed the smiley,

Absolutely not.  I'm dead serious.  I'm very confused by anyone who
would want to take the extremely well designed Apple OSX, which has
Aqua *and* X11, and can compile anything that can run on a Linux box
as well as run Mac-only software, and replace it with something that
will effectively cripple the box.