[PLUG] Hibernation on a Sony VAIO

Andrew Munkres amunk at pdx.edu
Fri Sep 24 01:43:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Bruce Kingsland wrote:

> I know that several of you had these machines when I was regularly
> attending meetings down there, so I'm assuming that somebody knows the
> secret to getting this to work. And I'd really appreciate some
> pointers!

As root, do:
	echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
to suspend to memory. If you have a kernel compiled to support it and
also hardware which supports it (the only machine I've tried it on, a
desktop machine, apparently doesn't), do the same except for s/mem/disk/
to suspend to disk instead.

Warning: One time I did this, some things didn't act correctly
(e.g. Konqueror would crash when attempting to save a page) until the
machine was rebooted.