[PLUG] X Window System Wierdness

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Sep 24 07:15:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>>> After being gone for a day on a business trip I discover a
>>> disconcerting change on my display here: every window (virtual
>>> terminal, firefox, etc.) has a small, black square in the two
>>> bottom corners. This is not a monitor error because it is present
>>> only on window-manager windows, not the screen corners.
>
>  I have discovered what causes this, but not why: it's a function of
> the window decoration in Xfce. As I test various decorative schemes
> the squares change size or, with a few designs, disappear
> completely. In a couple of cases the squares collapse to narrow,
> horizontal lines. They aall appear to be extensions of the corner
> areas that can be grabbed to resize the window.

I would occasionally have trouble similar (though not identical) to
what you're describing when running Xfce under X using a) an S3 Savage
with limited video ram and b) the XFree86 S3 driver.

Since installing an ATI card with more memory, the problem has
disappeared.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>