[PLUG] Flash WAS: Linux on Apple WAS: Wanted to Introduce Myself

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Fri Sep 24 11:36:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:03:49AM -0700, Brian Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:46:51 -0700, Alice Corbin <ali at axian.com> wrote:
> > I once downloaded and installed a flash plugin because I needed it to

> For Linux on PPC?!  WHERE?

There is a Flash player for Linux/PPC, but it mostly sucks.

It's in the 'swf-player' package in the Debian world. In the real world,
it's part of a Flash decoder library that lives on SourceForge:

<http://swfdec.sourceforge.net/>

 A GTK+ and SDL based player for Macromedia Flash animations.  Includes
 a Mozilla plugin, that embeds the player into Mozilla-based browsers,
 in order to allow seamless viewing of Flash animations in web
 pages.  Includes a GdkPixbuf loader, so that SWF animations can be
 used seamlessly as images in Gtk+ applications.

I ended up removing it from my system not so long ago because:
A) It has a tendency to "run away" when loaded as a browser plug-in.
B) Flash animations are, with a few rare exceptions, a scourge upon the
web-browsing populace.

Paul