[PLUG] generic loser file upload brainstorming

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Sep 24 20:47:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:13:38PM -0700, Russell Senior wrote:

> I've got a client who wants to allow his customers to send him,
> effectively, core dumps of his program when requesting support.  These
> are primarily windows users.  Email attachment doesn't work because
> many MTAs will limit message size and the dumps can be ~10-20 meg each.
>

> We've been using a upload cgi solution on Linux/Apache, but I am
> interested in other solutions too.  It'd be ideal if we could find a
> hosting service that would handle this.  Has to be clueless-friendly
> and not be stopped by typical firewalls.  Ideas?

I think you've already hit upon the best solution.  It's well-known
tech that's simple to implement on both ends and about as firewall-
friendly as you can get.  I can't imagine it'd be hard to write a li'l
proggie that sits on the user's PC and does the upload, but as it is,
the end user can do it with pretty much any web browser, including,
say, one running in a bootable Knoppix CD.

Sometimes you get a hole-in-one,
  Aaron