[PLUG] Flash WAS: Linux on Apple WAS: Wanted to Introduce Myself

Alice Corbin ali at axian.com
Fri Sep 24 21:04:02 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 05:36:36PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> <#secure method=pgp mode=sign>
>
> Alice Corbin <ali at axian.com> writes:
>
> > I once downloaded and installed a flash plugin because I needed it to
> > use some site or other.  But after that I started seeing some really
> > annoying flash ads that my animate:once setting had no affect on.
> > So I uninstalled it.
>
> Well, you could have the best of both worlds.  Adzapper
> (http://adzapper.sourceforge.net/) is a great addition to your (or
> better yet, convince your ISP to add this to their) caching proxy.

Actually, I have since installed Firefox's Adblock extension, which
can hide flash as well as images.  So I could turn flash back on.
But I still don't like flash.  At best, I think that it's eye candy,
useless fluff added to a page to add jazziness.  And if you actually
need it to navigate the site, then it's even worse, because I've
reached the point where I have to blow the fonts up before I can
read them, and you can't do that to flash.  And anyone who
is truly blind is SOL with it.

Ali