[PLUG] Learning where eth0 went

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 25 08:33:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:

> Broadcoms use the bcm5700 or tg3 module.

Ken,

   And they're also for gigabit networks, which I do not have.

   There's also a DECchip 21140 for FasterNet onboard. I uncommented that
line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, ran '/sbin/modprobe tulip' and followed that
with 'ifconfig eth0 up'. This works. I show eth0 as UP and RUNNING. However,
... the "network is unreachable".

   So, I run 'route' and see there's only lo listed. Then I ran,
'route add -net 192.168.55.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.55.4 eth0'

but, instead of seeing that route in the kernel routing table, I get the
response that the "network is unreachable". I must be a bit slow this
morning because I thought that adding the route would make the network
reachable. What have I missed, please?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)