[PLUG] Adding extensions to firefox

Alice Corbin ali at axian.com
Sat Sep 25 18:14:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 02:38:22PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I read on the firefox Web site how easy it is to install an extension.
> "Just click on the 'install' button, shut down the application and restart".
> Hah! Fat chance.
>
>   Trying to install the adblock plugin, I click on the 'install' button. The
> progress bar widget in the lower, right corner speeds along, but ... there's
> nothing there. I cannot 'find' an adblock*xpi on the hard drive. It's not
> listed as an extension when I look on the tools menu.
>
>   I must be missing something very simple again, but I cannot see what it
> is. A pointer would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

In your preferences, make sure that you have 'Allow websites to install sw'
checked.  You can turn it off again once you've got the extension.  (It's
also safe to leave it checked.  Firefox will not install any software
without asking you first.)

Also, most extensions will only install themselves when Firefox starts up.
Which means that you have to close all of its windows first.

Ali