[PLUG] Digital Camera - Mount Windows partition?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 26 11:49:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, AthlonRob wrote:

> It may be worthwhile for everybody to take some time and learn about
> compiling your own kernel.  It can provide you with better performance,
> more stability, and fewer compatibility woes such as those mentioned in
> this thread.  It's also a learning experience; you really get to know how
> well supported your hardware is in the kernel and what other hardware is
> supported.

Rob,

   Allow me to add to your words of wisdom. It's easy and fool-proof. The
instructions on the Kernel-building-HOWTO (a google search will take you to
it) are sufficiently accurate. There are only a few steps:

   1.) Untar the source in /usr/src/2.x.x/.

   2.) cd to that directory and run 'make config', 'make menuconfig' or 'make
xconfig'. The former gives you all choices one at a time in sequential
order. The second (my favorite) uses a ncurses text interface that makes it
very easy to see what you're doing and move around during configuration.
Help is as close as the '?' key. The third is a GUI interface. Save the
configuration.

   3.) Run, in order:
 	make dep;
 	make clean;
 	make bzImage;
 	make modules;
 	make modules_install;

   4.) Copy appropriate files from the source directory to /boot (the HOWTO
specifies which ones).

   5.) Rebuild links in /boot

   6.) Add a stanza for your new kernel in /etc/lilo.conf or
/boot/grub/grub.conf. Run '/sbin/lilo' if that's your loader.

   7.) Take your new kernel for a test drive. If it goes off the road for any
reason, reboot and select the former kernel that you know boots. Fix the new
one and repeat steps 6 and 7.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>