[PLUG] Email Backing up

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Mon Sep 27 17:14:02 UTC 2004

R. Haack wrote:
> I'm having the following issue.  We got our email server up and running
> but some of our mail seems to be backed up at Clackamas ESD.  From what
> I can tell all of this email is junk, but our server should be pulling
> it down and then bouncing it.

You're bouncing spam?!

The envelope sender addresses are not real. Your bounces are all likely
to bounce, or go to innocents.

Solution:
Don't bounce spam. Nobody does that anymore, really. If on the off
chance that spam is using a real (harvested) email, an unsuspecting user
gets a bounce for something they didn't send. So, they email their
support people. Ugh.

-Charlie