[PLUG] A mail question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 27 20:11:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Brian Benson wrote:

> Rich, it sounds like qpopper isn't running or you've got some iptables
> blocking the conection.

Brian, Charlie, et al.:

   Qpopper wasn't running. So I downloaded and built the latest version
(4.0.5) and modified both /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services as the
intallation guide directed.

> brian at ibook:~$ netstat -ln | grep 110
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:110             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

   Now it is.

> pop-3           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.qpopper -f /etc/qpopper.conf

   Slightly different syntax recommended in the manual. But, it works now. I
just tested it on the ThinkPad and she has 142 new messages awaiting her.
That's not bad considering it's been since 7 Sept. when the planned move to
a different motherboard/cpu caused the major upheaval here.

   I think now that it will be several more weeks as I discover things not
running when I expcted them to. But, I have the tape restore image on disk
and can just get the latest version and build on that. At least now all
boxes here (two workstations, two portables) are running Slackware-10.0 so
they're all current and equal. No more problems with different distributions
and versions.

   Thanks all. I think that now I can focus exclusively on marketing and my
book (delayed by the Great Adventure).

TTFN,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)