[PLUG] Kodak EZ200

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 01:28:01 UTC 2004

The Kodak EZ200 is a $50 camera that can be used for
video conferencing (among other things). I purchased
one years ago and verified that it works for this
purpose with Windows.

Attempts have been made to support it in Linux. It
uses the spca-50x driver, available on Sourceforge
("make" "make install").

After this was done, the module loaded ("lsmod"). I
brought up Camstream and found that this driver could
now be selected in addition to my TV card, which works
with Camstream. But when I attempted to use the
camera, the picture was black and the application
crashed.

I have a 2.6 kernel, and use of this driver with such
a kernel is apparently still experimental. Another
point mentioned is that the modules should be compiled
with the same version of GCC as the kernel, and I have
no idea whether this was the case or not. Does anyone
know what version of GCC was used to compile the stock
kernel 2.6.5-1.358 (Fedora 2)? Of course I would also
be pleased to hear from anyone successfully using this
popular camera with a 2.6 kernel.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/