[PLUG] LAN broadcast?

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Thu Jun 2 04:13:03 UTC 2011

I have a question about user applications using broadcast on a LAN.

I usually have several processes that connect via TCP/IP to a central
server that solves some optimization problems. In more demanding project
that I am working on now, I hope to distribute the optimization problem
between 24 to 36 helper processes.

At the start of each optimization job, I will have a few data files that
need to be distributed to each of the helper optimization processes.
Rather than have the central optimizer / server send these files 24
times, some way to broadcast these files to all machines / processes at
the same time might be nice.

Is that the kind of thing that broadcasting could accomplish?

And if so, and in a big picture way, how would one do it?

An example of my network topology would be:
TCP/IP server @ 192.168.1.40
4 helper processes @ 192.168.1.40
4 helper processes @ 192.168.1.41
4 helper processes @ 192.168.1.42