[PLUG] Digital Video Camera

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 4 04:35:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:29:02 -0700
Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:

>On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 04:24:47PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>>    I'm considering buying a digital video camera. I've no idea what
>> software supports transfer from the camera to the linux host. Are
>> there any brands/models known to not be supported by linux? Is there
>> a Web site similar to sane-project.org or linux-printers.org
>> specific to video cameras?
>
>Get one with SD card storage and just move the card back and forth.
>Simple.

But watch out for the speed of the SD card. I have a class 2 card that
works great for playing mp3s in my phone. But I have read notes from
still camera users who found that they needed class 10 cards in order
to be able to shoot continuously - the camera couldn't write the
previous image to the card fast enough.

I don't have any idea how fast the card needs to be for digital video,
but don't just buy the cheapest SD card without checking first. The
price of SD cards goes up according to capacity and speed class.

I'd also suggest checking the SD card slot in the computer. I have a
card reader in my Thnkpad, and it reads SD cards fine, but when I try to
write to the card I get "the media is read-only." That is with two
different SD cards from different manufacturers. My phone writes to the
card fine, however, so the problem is in the SD card reader in the
Thinkpad and/or the driver in Fedora 14.