[PLUG] DVD based web site

Sam Hart criswellious at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 00:19:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM, frankhunt <fh-linux at frankhunt.com> wrote:
> I know this is a Linux group but I also know that there is a bunch of
> smart, experienced people out there so . . .
>
> Made a small web site that is not on my server - just a bunch of html
> files and links.
> Simple enough - point the file manager (on Linux and on XP) at the
> index.html file, tell it to open and it works just fine - all the
> browsers worked fine, navigate around just fine.  That is until I try it
> with Internet Exploder 8 on XP.  IE will not follow SOME of the links
> but will follow others.  In the document, the links look like
> ../../index.html  when I hover the mouse over the link, it looks like:
> file:///D:/STAGES/DVD/index.html  IE cannot figure that out (however
> Firefox  can so I know the code is good).  My guess is that there is a
> setting somewhere in IE that is "protecting me from internet evil" - and
> also protecting me from doing what I want to do.  I know this is
> possible because I have seen web sites that run stand-alone from DVDs
> (which is what I ultimately want to do).
>
> Anybody got any help here?
>
> I've been fighting this all day and it is driving me straight to the
> liquor cabinet . . .

Depending upon the scope of the project, there are a lot of embedded
web-site options that you might want to look into. For example, the
one I've used a lot is TiddlyWiki:

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

Though, I'll admit I generally start with one of the templates from
http://www.tiddlytools.com/ which come pre-loaded with various plugins
(as I find the stock TiddlyWiki to be rather spartan). Even more
plugins, themes, etc can be found from the TiddlyVault:

http://tiddlyvault.tiddlyspot.com/

I've used TiddlyWiki for things *like* what you're describing, and
even for full-fledged websites (for example, I used it when I uploaded
the former Open Source work from a company I used to work at to
SourceForge, http://leftovers.sourceforge.net/ )

If, however, you need something more specialized, then TiddlyWiki
might not be what you're looking for.

                                      ---Sam