[PLUG] USB Serial Port Adapters

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 17 23:46:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Tim Wescott wrote:

> Is there a way to map specific USB serial port adapters to specific device
> names?

Tim,

   Yep.

> As far as I know, as I plug USB serial port adapters into the system
> they'll appear as ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, etc., in the order that I plug them
> in.

   They tend to appear as pairs; e.g., ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1.

> But I want to have them show up as "ttyUSBcamera", "ttyUSBdata_aq", etc.,
> or something similar -- so that when I plug in a _specific_ hardware
> device, it maps to a specific device in the /dev directory.

   I used to have /dev/pilot defined for syncing my Palm (now Treo 700p), but
that went away with the advent of udev. However, hardware does show up on
consistent devices. For example, jpilot is set to connect on /dev/ttyUSB1,
my thumb drives are defined in /etc/fstab as:

/dev/sdb         /mnt/thumb       vfat        noauto,users,rw  0   0
/dev/sdc         /mnt/flashdrive  vfat        noauto,users,rw  0   0

which depends on which USB hole I use for it.