[PLUG] Noisy mp3s

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 02:40:56 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 04:23 PM, Dale Snell wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:03:31 -0800
> "Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> Anyway, does anyone have any ideas about why the sound on my Linux
>> machines show this noise while the sound on two Winders machines does
>> not? And more important, is there anything I can do about it, other
>> than listening on XP while typing on Ubuntu?
> Hard to say what this might be.  The only thing I can think of off
> the top of my head is that you've got clipping somewhere.  Try
> clipping.  If it's there, use Audacity reduce the audio amplitude;
> that should clear up the problem.
>
> Hope this help,
>
> --Dale

Rich, what linux audio player are you using? You said you "clean up" the
mp3 in audacity so is the sound quality bad in audacity or just another
player? As Dale mentioned, clipping could be a reason. Also, if you
didn't set up the noise filter properly you can have introduced some
static that depends on the mp3 codec and player (Fraunhofer licensed vs.
LAME for example).   Also, you may wish to convert to a lossless format
(wav or flac) before editing in audacity.  Also, consider mp3 bit rate,
CBR vs VBR....

Ed