[PLUG] Victor upgraded to Ubuntu 12.something

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 16 23:12:21 PST 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:44:02 -0800
Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> dijo:

>Dear Plug clinic,
>
>I don't like my Ubuntu 12.something.  I can't figure out what programs
>are on my machine.  There is no menu.  I want to go back to 10.04.  Or
>I want to put on Mint or Debian on my desktop computer.  I really
>don't relish hauling my desktop computer down to the clinic, with my
>monitor, printer, et. al.  Can I get help backing up my files, blowing
>away Ubuntu 12.something, and putting Debian on my machine, and make
>sure I can surf the internet, and be able to print, all in the span of
>4 hours.  I've had issues with all these things in the past, and each
>time it took an inordinate amount of time.
>
>On second thought, I may be getting a laptop, and putting Linux from
>Scratch, or Debian on it, or whatever more sophisticated people than I
>suggest.  Once I get that working to my satisfaction, I'll blow away
>my Ubuntu 12.something.  Unless there some quick trick to go back to
>10.04, I'll leave well enough alone.  Is there a mechanism to roll
>back the operating system, so to speak?

I hear you about Ubuntu 12.something. I suspect your complaint is more
about Gnome 3 than Ubuntu, at least, that's my complaint. Some love
the new look, and others hate it.  As for rolling back the OS, that is
not generally possible. But, as I just said, I think your problem is
more with the desktop than the version of the OS.

I might suggest Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Xubuntu has the Xfce desktop
instead of Gnome 3, and it looks and acts a lot more like Gnome 2.

I also suggest you explore other distros such as Fedora and OpenSuse.

I have live CDs of all the above except Debian. Debian is designed to
be installed over the net, so there is just a very small bootable CD.
Installing over the net is not a good idea at the Clinic due to limited
bandwidth.

Bring whatever you want to the Clinic and we'll burn CDs and play
around so you can see alternatives.