[PLUG] Victor upgraded to Ubuntu 12.something

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sat Nov 17 18:05:56 UTC 2012

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 05:24:49 -0600
> Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> dijo:
>
>>> I have live CDs of all the above except Debian. Debian is designed to
>>> be installed over the net, so there is just a very small bootable CD.
>
>> Oh , it's definitely _designed_ for internet connected
>> install. But it will install without difficulty from either
>> the 1st CD/DVD of the set or the LiveCD. With network
>> physically disconnected, it will merrily ask about a half
>> dozen network related questions which you ignore by pressing
>> <ENTER>. It will then divine that [non-existent ;] network
>> could not be configure and will present a menu including a
>> choice to configure network at a later time.
>
> OK, I'm downloading the live CD ISOs. Oddly, the web site says they
> will fit on a CD, yet each ISO is around 1 GB. Maybe they have special
> CDs in Debian-land.
> _

That doesn't sound right.
I just went looking and
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.6/i386/iso-cd/ shows
all the CDs in the 640MB range.

Are you getting "testing" rather than "stable"? I vaguely
recall some discussion about what would have to go to allow
what the developers considered an adequate minimal install
on one CD. I didn't follow the discussion as downloading
isn't practical due to dial-up connection.