[PLUG] Victor upgraded to Ubuntu 12.something

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 24 02:29:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:44:02 -0800
> Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >Dear Plug clinic,
> >
> >I don't like my Ubuntu 12.something.  I can't figure out what programs
> >are on my machine.  There is no menu.  I want to go back to 10.04.  Or
> >I want to put on Mint or Debian on my desktop computer.  I really
> >don't relish hauling my desktop computer down to the clinic, with my
> >monitor, printer, et. al.  Can I get help backing up my files, blowing
> >away Ubuntu 12.something, and putting Debian on my machine, and make
> >sure I can surf the internet, and be able to print, all in the span of
> >4 hours.  I've had issues with all these things in the past, and each
> >time it took an inordinate amount of time.
> >
> >On second thought, I may be getting a laptop, and putting Linux from
> >Scratch, or Debian on it, or whatever more sophisticated people than I
> >suggest.  Once I get that working to my satisfaction, I'll blow away
> >my Ubuntu 12.something.  Unless there some quick trick to go back to
> >10.04, I'll leave well enough alone.  Is there a mechanism to roll
> >back the operating system, so to speak?
>
> I hear you about Ubuntu 12.something. I suspect your complaint is more
> about Gnome 3 than Ubuntu, at least, that's my complaint. Some love
> the new look, and others hate it.  As for rolling back the OS, that is
> not generally possible. But, as I just said, I think your problem is
> more with the desktop than the version of the OS.

 You mean Unity?

> I might suggest Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Xubuntu has the Xfce desktop
> instead of Gnome 3, and it looks and acts a lot more like Gnome 2.

Xubuntu is an excellent Official Community Flavor in fact the folks at
FreeGeek will be transitioning their typically older spec "FreeKBoxes" to
Xubuntu 12.04 next month. Notably though you can easily switch desktop
environments on Ubuntu by simply installing the Desktop Environment of your
choice without the hassle of needing to format or attempt to "roll back" or
migrate data.

> I also suggest you explore other distros such as Fedora and OpenSuse.
>
> I have live CDs of all the above except Debian. Debian is designed to
> be installed over the net, so there is just a very small bootable CD.
> Installing over the net is not a good idea at the Clinic due to limited
> bandwidth.
>
> Bring whatever you want to the Clinic and we'll burn CDs and play
> around so you can see alternatives.

I may be at the Clinic on the 16th if the Debian SOC does their Bug
Squashing Party on the same day so if anyone needs assistance configuring
their desktop I would be glad to help.

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*