[PLUG] Is it wise to add other DEs once Ubuntu 12.04 is installed?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sat Nov 24 17:18:17 PST 2012

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 16:26:29 -0800
C W <elcaseti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, everybody.  Does restoring from a backup work
> reliably?

Yes, but.

Yes, it can, but you have to set up your backup system correctly.
Read the docs for your favorite backup program CAREFULLY.  Set
everything up, and make SURE that what you want backed up IS
backed up.  At the very least, you want your /home partition, and
any other non-Ubuntu-supplied data you have.  For bare-metal
restores, you're going to need a copy of your master boot
record(s), so that you can re-create your disk partitions, plus
information on filesystems, logical volumes (if used), and so on.

Once you're sure that backups are made correctly, make sure that
you can use the backed-up data to restore your system.  TRY IT AND
MAKE CERTAIN.  I've heard too many stories of outfits that have
faithfully run their backup software, only to find that they
couldn't restore from backups when the inevitable disaster struck.
And trust me, it is inevitable.  Something will go worng somewhere
along the line, and you will have to restore.

Do I make backups?  Yes.  I have a half-terabyte WD MyBook on USB
that I back up to.  I have had to restore from it, too.  Believe
me, I was glad I had it.

Just another $0.02.

--Dale

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."