[PLUG] Card Scanner - resolved

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sat Nov 24 21:05:34 PST 2012

I was looking for a duplex (both sides at once) card scanner.
The vast majority are simplex (one sided), and the few that
are duplex seem to be Windoze only.
Consulting  http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html
the one and only "good" simplex (single sided) card scanner
seems to be the Corex Cardscan 800c .

I attempted to purchase an 800c though eBay for $55, but the
seller is AWOL - 2 weeks after I paid for it, no response to
my emails, and eBay's conflict resolution process hasn't
worked, either.  Oh well.  eBay claims to provide refunds
(after a couple of months of jumping through hoops).  We'll
see if that works.  Otherwise, I've researched out the name
and address of the seller in Texas, and have redneck
relatives living 10 miles away, so ...

The good news is that I purchased an 800c via Craigslist
($99) and just got it working.  It will be hooked up to a
Mac most of the time (and it comes with Mac software as well
as W#@%*!s software), but the sane-cardscan driver is in my
somewhat ancient distro (Scientific Linux 5.6, 2.6.18 kernel).

Out of the box, it worked only as root.  I fixed that by
adding two lines to /etc/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules  :

  # Corex Cardscan 800c
  SYSFS{idVendor}=="08f0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0005", SYMLINK+="scanner-%k"

With default settings, the results are a little dim, a little
pink, but there are knobs on xsane that can fix this.  It
works well enough for our needs.  The 800c is small, 4x7
inches, USB powered, and just loud enough to let you know
it's working.  Given the $300+ retail price of a new card
scanner plus software, $99 (and same day pickup) is good.

Duplex?  We can run the card through twice.  About two
minutes of extra work a day.

BTW, one of the things we want to copy is customer
driver's licenses (for the picture, not the ODOT info).
I was pondering how to crop the private information
from the picture in software.  My more practical wife
said "how about a postit with today's date on it, on top
of information we shouldn't store".  Sometimes atoms are
better than bits.  She's certainly smarter than I am.

Next step is configuring the Mac to scan the card and
send the image to the Linux server.  If the Corex-provided
proprietary software is too opaque or nonconfigurable,
I'll install sane on that machine, too.

Keith