[PLUG] 5-1/4" Floppy Issue

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 01:19:21 UTC 2012

I just installed a 5-1/4" floppy in a Gateway box I got from Free Geek.
When I try to read a floppy disk, the disk drive spins, the pilot light
lights, and then I get a message that says:

Unable to mount location
No media in the drive

I remembered that I had not done anything in the BIOS after installing
the drive, so I rebooted, pressed <F2> and started walking through the
System Setup.

On the Advanced menu page there is an entry called Floppy Configuration.
When I go to that page, there is an entry called Floppy Type. There are
only two options, <1.44MB> and <2.88MB>.

Is it possible that the BIOS doesn't support 5-1/4" drives? Or did I
miss something else?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens