[PLUG] Slightly OT: version/instance control on Mac software

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Nov 26 21:40:53 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:02:07PM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> The second-hand CardScan is working with Linux.  The craigslist
> seller advertised it as Mac compatable. He gave me a copy of the
> Mac software installer cardscan.pkg, which allegedly runs with
> this scanner.  However, it complains that it won't work with the
> OSX 2.6.8 (Snow Leopard) on our Mac.  So the instance of code

In spite of cryptic error reporting, I found out part of what
was going on with the Cardscan Mac software.  The files from
the seller had symlinks that did not survive the transition
from Mac to Linux to Mac.  Other stuff is also broken.

Meanwhile, I used MacPorts to put SANE (scanner software) and
Imagemagick on the Mac.  Still some issues with sane.  Preview,
the provided image viewer, displays surprisingly few image
formats, and MacOS version of Firefox likewise (no PNM,
for example).

Next, build a tiny little app to scan cards, enter client names,
then file them on the server.  We'll see how hard that is.

Keith (clawing my way through the fog)