[PLUG] Live by the GUI, die by the GUI

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Nov 29 17:56:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, David Fleck wrote:

> The settings for digikam are in ~/.kde4/share/config/digikamrc
>
> I backed up this file and reopened digikam, which caused digikam to
> create a new digikamrc file.  Now, for the most part I liked the
> customizations I had put into digikam over the years, so I didn't
> want to have to just go back to the original defaults.  So...
>
> I then compared the settings between the old and new files using
> vimdiff. Doing so, I discovered about 5 "Toolbar=disabled" lines in
> my old copy. Using vimdiff, I got rid of those lines completely.

This is a classic example of the argument for ASCII configuration
files. Sure, a binary configuration representation might mean
(slightly) faster launch times, but IMO it's a completely fair
trade-off since ASCII files allow great out-of-band control and they
can be easily stored in a VCS, copied to new home directories, shared
on mailing lists, etc.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com