[PLUG] Wrong Screen Resolution after this morning's update

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:28:09 PST 2012

On 11/30/2012 03:49 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I ran an update on Ubuntu 10.04 this morning. After if was finished it
> required a reboot. After the reboot one of my two screens came up with
> the wrong resolution -- sort of.
>
> I'm running the NVIDIA driver, version 195.36.24. My video card supports
> two monitors, one DVI, and one VGA. I recently got a second 1680 x 1050
> monitor, and have them set up as "TwinView", which means that I can drag
> the cursor from left to right and go from the left edge of the left
> screen to the right edge of the right screen.
>
> After the reboot this morning, I see an image on the left screen that
> goes about halfway across, at which point the left edge of what's no the
> right hand monitor is displayed. The correct image is displayed on the
> right hand monitor. In other words, what is in the upper left corner of
> the right hand monitor is also displayed in the upper left hand corner
> of the far right quarter of the left hand monitor.
>
> The NVIDIA X Server Settings too shows both monitors detected at the
> correct resolution.
>
> Any idea where to start looking for how to fix this so that each screen
> has its own image displayed?
>
> Thanks.

Richard

you can set all thisup simply in a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d  but
lets do it the "GUI" way. Now, I run Nvidia 310.19, so my gui has a few
different bells and whistles. When you run the nvidia-settings gui, you
should have a "X Server Display Configuration". Bottom right corner
click on "advanced."  No you should see at top a graphical
representation of your 2 monitors. Do they overlap?  If so move
themapart. Following example is for my 1920x1080 LCD and 1024x768 CRT.
Click on each monitor to check/set settings (reddish border when selected).

LCD:
Configuration: Twinview
Resolution: 1920x1008 60Hz
Position: Absolute +0+0
Viewport in: 1920x1080
Viewportout: 1920x1080+0+0
Panning: 1920x1080
primary display checked

CRT:
Configuration: Twinview
Resolution: 1024x76885Hz
Position: Absolute +1920+0
Viewport in: 1024x768
Viewportout: 1024x768+0+0
Panning: 1024x768
primary display *unchecked*

no rotation/no reflection for both.

Hit "apply" and then click on monitor edges to selct the whole X
screen.  Click on MetaMode to give a list: the 1st one is the default.
You need to make sure the config you just set is the default. You will
also see all the modes that are autodetected.

Essentially you want the right hand monitor to start where the left one
ends. Once you find settings that work, click on "save to X
configuration file"  (need to be root, or sudo whatever text editor and
copy/paste)to save the settings.

Hope this helps.
Ed