[PLUG] Wallpaper only after nVidia driver installation in Ubuntu 12.04

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 22:07:23 PST 2012

On 11/30/2012 09:26 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 12.04 running on my test system. I added an nVidia card to
> the system <...>

Further searching turned up:

jockey-text --help
jockey-text -l
jockey-text -e xorg:nvidia_current

as a way to enable the nvidia driver from the terminal.
xorg:nvidia_current was enabled. But there was xorg:nvidia_173 listed
above current. I ran jockey-text -e xorg:nvidia_173 and rebooted. Now, I
do have the expected menu bar, and can run programs. Foobilliard runs
better than with the default video driver, but is not as smooth as on my
other machine. I suspect that's because the card in the test machine is
an old Quadro NVS 285 card with only 64 MB of total memory.

However, I still don't have the second monitor. I ran nvidia-settings.
It only sees one screen. On the X Server Display Configuration page
there is a message that says,

Unable to load X-Server Display Configuration page:

The NVIDIA X driver on gateway-u 1204:0.0 is not new
enough to support the nvidia-settings Display Configuration page.

A somewhat odd thing: NVIDIA X SErver Settings on the test machine knows
what nVidia card is installed, the Quadro NVS 285. NVIDIA X Server
Settings on this machine says GPU 0 (Unknown). Right off hand I don't
remember what model card it is, but it does have 512 MB of memory.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens