[PLUG] Trackball ball movement not smooth

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 20 11:52:46 PDT 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Dick Steffens wrote:

> Any recommendations on how to get the ball to rotate smoothly in the socket?

Dick,

   I've used only trackballs for more than a dozen years. Now and then they
become less responsive so I know they need a cleaning. I blow and pick out
whatever is visible, usually dust bunnies. Sometimes I need to use splinter
forceps to pick the lint off the sensing points in the base or from crevices
in the unit. I never use alcohol or any other liquid.

   Take out the ball and rub it with a microfiber cloth or lint-free towel.
There are no lubricants on trackballs; it's plastic against plastic and
usually as low speeds. You can wash and thoroughly dry the ball if you wish;
it's solid plastic so it will not be harmed by the water. That removes
finger grease and snack residue quite well.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |