[PLUG] Trackball ball movement not smooth

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Sep 20 12:01:41 PDT 2013

On 09/20/2013 11:52 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     I've used only trackballs for more than a dozen years. Now and then they
> become less responsive so I know they need a cleaning. I blow and pick out
> whatever is visible, usually dust bunnies. Sometimes I need to use splinter
> forceps to pick the lint off the sensing points in the base or from crevices
> in the unit. I never use alcohol or any other liquid.
>
>     Take out the ball and rub it with a microfiber cloth or lint-free towel.
> There are no lubricants on trackballs; it's plastic against plastic and
> usually as low speeds. You can wash and thoroughly dry the ball if you wish;
> it's solid plastic so it will not be harmed by the water. That removes
> finger grease and snack residue quite well.

Hard to say what the "dirt" on this thing was, but it was all stuff that
was stuck to the plastic. No loose debris. It was free, and I was in
need of an extra "mouse" so I thought I'd give it a try. I think I'll
stick with mice and pick up a couple the next time I'm down at Free Geek.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens