[PLUG] odd date command behavior for the starting Daylight time in a year

website reader website.reader3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:06:33 PDT 2013

To the KPLUG community:

I got "invalid data" warnings for all the March dates on the shell
script file, but changing the time to 03:00:00 fixed this problem.  Is
something wrong with the tzfile or ???

The problem occurred on my Ubuntu machine when checking daylight
savings time EPOCH values for the years 2010 to 2015.

I am curious to see if this occurs on other machines?

Randall
#!/bin/sh
date -d "Mar 14 02:00:00 2010" +%s
date -d "Nov 7 02:00:00 2010" +%s
date -d "Mar 13 02:00:00 2011" +%s
date -d "Nov 6 02:00:00 2011" +%s
date -d "Mar 11 02:00:00 2012" +%s
date -d "Nov 4 02:00:00 2012" +%s
date -d "Mar 10 02:00:00 2013" +%s
date -d "Nov 3 02:00:00 2013" +%s
date -d "Mar 9 02:00:00 2014" +%s
date -d "Nov 2 02:00:00 2014" +%s
date -d "Mar 8 02:00:00 2015" +%s
date -d "Nov 1 02:00:00 2015" +%s
echo "Linux version 3.2.0-53-generic (buildd at allspice) (gcc version
4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #81-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 22
21:01:03 UTC 2013"