[PLUG] Replacing Windows Vista with Ubuntu 14.04 -- stuck early in the install process

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Mar 1 15:29:09 UTC 2016

On 03/01/2016 05:38 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Dick Steffens wrote:
>
>> Are you assuming that I'd move the drive to one of my other machines, or
>> is there a way to run cfdisk from the install USB stick?
> Dick,
>
>     Excellent question. I've not installed Ubuntu so my answer may not be
> adequate. In Slackware, installing from the distribution DVD, partitioning
> the hard drive is one of the first things to do.

Looks like cfdisk is not part of the Ubuntu install image. There was a
tool that let me look at the drive, but it wouldn't let me format it,
even though format is one of its options.

>     If the USB stick is the equivalent of a CD/DVD, can you use it to boot the
> computer without immediately installing? If so, then you should find cfdisk
> on the (ahem!) "live USB stick" and run it from there.

Yes, the USB stick works the same way as the CD/DVD. But, as mentioned
above, cfdisk wasn't there.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens