[PLUG] THURSDAY: March PLUG Meeting: Networking with Puppet and Cumulus

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Wed Mar 2 17:53:15 UTC 2016

Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting Announcement

Who: Kris Amundson
What: Networking with Puppet and Cumulus
Where: PSU, 1930 SW 4th Ave. Room FAB 86-01 (Lower Level)
When: Thursday, March 3rd, 2016 at 7pm
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom
Stream: http://pdxlinux.org/live (PSU WiFi Permitting)

Network Switches. This phrase conjures up thoughts of expensive boxes
with operating systems out of reach to the user. While CLIs have
improved, there are times where you really want a bash prompt to install
a cron script or two, or run a packet capture through some python.

That day is here. We now have a few Linux based NOS distributions with a
standard linux-server experience with many ports of line-rate ethernet
interfaces. We will be exploring Cumulus Linux, a Debian-based NOS that
has a growing list of hardware support.

This session will be an introduction to Cumulus and some puppet code on
how to configure them. I'll have some hardware in tow and also discuss
the virtual image.

About Kris

Kris Amundson is part of the Ops team at Puppet Labs here in Portland.
He has been building networks since the mid 90s and his career travels
include working for Cisco VARs, operating PSU's campus network,
co-founding OpenSourcery, building networks atop wind turbines and
running the network for 21 months at the South Pole Antarctica.

Calagator Page: http://calagator.org/events/1250469566

Many will head to the Lucky Lab at 1945 NW Quimby St. after the meeting.

Rideshares Available

PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxlinux.org/
Follow PLUG on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pdxlinux

PLUG is open to everyone and does not tolerate abusive behavior on its
mailing lists or at its meetings.

See you there!

Michael Dexter
PLUG Volunteer