[PLUG] Acroread Changes Typeface [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 18 16:19:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016, Dale Snell wrote:

> I’m also running XFCE.  My current favorite PDF viewer is qpdfview, which
> does not depend on KDE or GNOME. It does require one of the Qt libraries;
> I forget which, though.

Dale,

   I'll take a look at qpdfview. I've Qt4 and Qt5 installed.

> I’m curious, though.  What do you mean by “blocked text”?  I don’t
> understand the reference.

   Blocked == highlighted for copying to another application.

   Unfortunately, there are .pdf documents that look to be directly generated
but turn out to have been scanned so blocked/highlighted text cannot be
copied.

   For example, one document has these characteristics:

%PDF-1.4
1 0 obj
<<
/Creator (Canon iR-ADV 8285  PDF)

which means it was sent to a Canon device that directly produced the PDF
rather than having the file produced by the word processor prior to
printing. Can't be copied.

   A former client had a large Xerox copier that directly produced PDF files
that were uncopyable because they were scanned.