[PLUG] Guiding a geographically remote friend from Windows to Linux

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Sun Mar 27 19:33:48 UTC 2016

> Check Xubuntu for usability. Most of Ubuntu's Microsoft like qualities are
> in the desktop, and Xubuntu puts Xfce on top of Ubuntu. Lubuntu is a
> possibility, too. (I use Xubuntu, for much the reasons you quote).

The argument that "Canonical is aiming at the same market as Microsoft and
comes up with similar solutions on the operator interface..." is vague at
best.

The argument COULD be applied exclusively towards the Unity desktop
environment, which would be fair... In which case, Lubuntu and Xubuntu MAY
be acceptable replacements. On the other hand, he singled out the parent
company and their product line as the offenders... So I'm tempted to
respect his wishes.

The argument could be equally applied towards Canonical's willingness to
bundle proprietary drivers, codecs, and software... Also to the App Store
that features both proprietary and for-cost applications... Also to
Canonical's willingness to work with 3rd parties that don't share the FOSS
philosophies...  Etc. Ad nauseum.  So again, I'm tempted to simply respect
his wishes.

On the other hand, while the argument that "Anything that LOOKS like
Windows is the Enemy" certainly does exclude KDE, Gnome3, and Unity to
varying degrees of offense, it holds little value in a philosophical
software-design arena, where attention to detail in the User eXperience is
as important as usability to the end product, and doesn't really make one
"Microsoft-like," as much as it makes them "Pro-user..."  I'm suddenly
sounding more "Microsoft is pro-user" than I usually sound...

OK, so I acknowledge I have played Devil's Advocate here...  So let me get
to the point...

The OP never stated WHY he felt Microsoft-like behavior was evil, or even
WHAT makes something Microsoft-like... So any arguments in that arena are
poorly articulated at best, and are best saved for the burning bridge where
the troll lives.

He said he didn't want Ubuntu because Canonical is targeting the mass
market... Respect that, and move on with the helpful input.