[PLUG] Guiding a geographically remote friend from Windows to Linux

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Mar 27 20:11:38 UTC 2016

On 3/27/2016 10:01 AM, Tyrell Jentink wrote:
> I'm going to be frank... I'm worried we have a "Blind leading the blind"
> situation here.

<*ROFL*><GRIN><snicker> ;/
The University was proud of the computer that ran my first
FORTRAN programs  -- it had TRANSISTORS. I don't act my age. My
second PC, a KAYPRO-10, is around here somewhere.
I succumbed to the M$ bug with Win 3.1 and relatively recently
broke free.

By the way, I agree with most of your logic, if not your conclusions.

[snip]
> #! /bin/bash
> uname -all > results.txt

That got me pointed in useful directions. From the man pages what
I was looking for is likely lshw [although not currently
installed on my working Debian Squeeze box - I'd done a really
minimal install.

I never had a need for it as I already know what's in my boxes. I
just don't know what's in his.

Thank you for your time.